Worcester Community Connections:
Worcester Community Connections (WCCC) is one of 22 coalitions across the state were created in 1993 with federal funding through the Family Preservation and Support Act to the MA Department of Children and Families as part of a statewide effort to build a continuum of family support services in neighborhoods across Massachusetts and decrease factors that lead to child abuse and mistreatment.
In 2008 our parent leaders came together to develop the WCCC Resource and Referral Center in response to repeated input from local families of the struggles that they face in locating and connecting with community resources.
In 2015 the WCCC Resource and Referral Center became the Worcester Connections Family Resource Center, expanding services to include families with children up to 18 years of age.
Y.O.U., Inc serves as a fiscal agent for WCCC
WCCC is a parent-driven coalition whose mission is to support Worcester families by:
- Bringing out the voices of residents
- Better coordinating resources already in the community
- Ensuring that services meet the needs of the people
- Helping parents to become more confident, competent and nurturing
Worcester Connections Family Resource Center:
The Worcester Connections Family Resource Center (FRC) is a community-based, culturally competent program that provides evidence-based parent education groups, information and referral, mentoring, and other opportunities for children and families in need, as well as services specific to children who are having serious problems at home and at school, including runaways, truants, and sexually exploited children, known as Children Requiring Assistance (CRA). WCFRC is s program of Y.O.U., Inc.
As a part of its work the WCFRC supports a community based network of services to enable children requiring assistance and their families to obtain needed services in their home communities instead of through the court system. These include access to voluntary mental health services, wrap-around family support services and voluntary services
The Worcester Connections Family Resource Center provides:
- Referral information and linkages to services
- Assessment and family support planning
- Assessment and support services for families with CRA (Child Requiring Assistance) issues
- Evidence-based parent educational groups
- Parent-child activities
- Center and community-based activities, educational classes and workshops
Worcester Community Connections is funded by the Massachusetts Community Connections Initiative. YOU Inc. serves as the fiscal partner.
Worcester Connections Family Resource Center is funded by the Massachusetts Office of Health and Human Services.
Worcester Community Connections Steering Committee:
- Gina Doyle - Parent
- Donna Evans – Parent
- Maryann Hancock – Parent
- Sharon McCorn
- Lynn Norris – Resident
- Winifred Octave – Parent
- Abigail Ricardi – Parent
- Paul Carey – YOU Inc.
- Merrie MacKenzie – South Bay Early Childhood
- Edna Ortiz – The Worcester Community Action Council, Inc.
- AndreaCarillo – Community Legal Aid
- Julie Lesure – District Attorney Early Jr.’s office
- Tony Miloski – City of Worcester
- Maria Siemaszko – Workforce Central
- Donna Pearce – MA Department of Children and Families
- Susan Colwell – MA Department of Children and Families
- Bertha Elena Rojas – Worcester Public Schools
- Beth Vietze – Worcester Family Partnership